Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Havana Road - Towson, MD

Vanessa and I went to Havana Road for lunch this week with a deal.   Why am I trying to do all of these restaurant deals during Baltimore Restaurant Week?  I dunno!  Either way, they once again let us use the coupon but we couldn't order off the special menu.  Not a problem.

We decided to sit outside because it's quite small inside and it was gorgeous outside.  This MAY have been a bad choice, though....  Very shortly after we were seated, the server asked if we were ready.  It had only been like 2 minutes, so I said I needed another minute.  Bad idea.  Vanessa looks at me and says, "I'm always nervous saying that.  You never know when you'll see them again."  Smart girl.  It took the server a very long time to ever come back outside again.  I was actually about to get up and go inside to order when she came out.  There was only one server for the whole restaurant, but there really aren't many tables at all.

We both got the arroz con pollo, which is NOT cheap  (I'm thinking like $15?  $17?).  It again took a while for it to come out.  It was a decent-sized portion and it came with a little ramekin of spiced black beans.  We both took a bite and I said, "Huh.  Not that good."  Vanessa said, "I don't remember it being this tomato-y".  We kept picking at it, but I gotta say...  I just didn't like it.  It didn't have much flavor to it.  It just kinda sat there on my plate taking a nap.  I don't remember it tasting like this last time (this was our second visit - both with a coupon) or I wouldn't have gotten it again.  I'm not going to say it was "BAD" but it just was "meh".  Unremarkable.  I even made Vanessa take our much-uneaten leftovers home for her and her husband because I knew I wouldn't eat it.  And I steal OTHER PEOPLE's leftovers!  (People I know..  not strangers...)  That should tell you something. 

Overall impression?  Not much of one.  Service kinda slow.  Food unremarkable and bland (in my opinion).  Kinda expensive.  Would I go back again?  No.  I won't even buy another coupon.  Too many other good places around.

Rating:
Service:  2.5
Food:  2
Ambiance:  4  (because we WERE outside and it was gorgeous out)

Take home:  Spend your money elsewhere unless you have it to throw away and want to sit outside on a nice day.  Since that's the only item I've ordered from there, I can't comment on the rest of the food.  Maybe we picked the wrong dish?  I dunno but it's not worth my money to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment