Thursday, August 23, 2012

RB Kebob - Towson, MD

This is one of my favorite places to eat lunch in the Towson area. 

9 E Chesapeake Ave, across from the library

http://rbkebob.com/

We actually call it "Indican" because it's a mix of Indian food and a Mexican delivery of said food.  They offer wraps, kebob platters, biryani bowls, and the "daily special" which I have never asked about.

They freshly make their naan as you order your wrap.  The "wrap" is like an Indian burrito.  They take the freshly made naan and fill it with your choice of fixins, like a Chipotle or Qdoba.  Fillings are basmati rice, spicy chickpeas, masala sauce, your meat (steak or chicken tikka), tomato salad, spicy cucumber salad, corn salad, sliced cucumbers, green peppers, shredded cheese, sliced tomatoes, cilantro, diced jalapenos, red onions, lettuce, and two sauces (cilantro yogurt and tamarind).  They wrap it all up (and they really need to squeeze to close that thing!), cut it in half, and you feast.

I have always gotten a wrap because they are soooo delicious but  today I decided to branch out and get the kebob platter.  It takes a good while to make, so don't order it if you're in a hurry.  They take freshly marinated chicken, put it on a large metal kebob, and stick it in the tandoori oven.  I'd say it was about 6 big chunks of chicken.  That has to cook.  The platter comes with basmati rice, your meat, spicy chickpeas, and a "salad" of lettuce, green peppers and cucumbers.  I then picked out whatever I wanted to add from the toppings above (I chose tomato salad, spicy cucumber salad, jalapenos, masala sauce, and cilantro).  It was huge.  I ate how much I wanted and then took the rest home.  It barely fit into the to-go bowl.  I just ate a second portion 3 hours later.  I still have at least one more portion left if not more.  It will be dinner tonight.
 
This is after my second helping.  There's STILL that much left!! 
 I forgot to take a pic before I ate my platter.  Figures. 
This was taken on my desk at work.  Sorry.

Deb and Vanessa got the biryani bowls.  It was basically what I got except they got the chicken that was already cooked and sliced/diced up.  Mine had more chicken and it was only like $1 more.  Mine came on a plate and theirs came in a bowl.  They also got side orders of naan ($1.50) and Deb got an iced chai.  That took a while too because they had to cook the tea.  She said it was SUPER SWEET, so be warned about that one. 

I gotta say that normally I wouldn't have ventured in there because it's on a side street, so I wouldn't really have seen it, and it is very, very small.  There are 3 little tables that seat 2 people each inside and then 2 small tables outside.  Most people do take-out.  We found it by searching around on Yelp for a new place to eat and it got excellent reviews from everyone.  It used to be called Krazy Kebob but now has a new owner.  The owner is fantastic - super friendly, remembers your name, and great service.  The guy that makes the wraps is also very nice and he goes as fast as he can.  Getting your food does take a few more minutes than you'd expect but it's because they make the naan right then and you get to pick all of your toppings from a long bar and they put them in the wrap.  It is worth every minute, though.

Rating:
Food: 5
Service: 5
Ambiance: 2 (wish it was bigger and not so hot - the huge glass storefront faces the blazing sun right around lunchtime and the tandoor is obviously a blast furnace)

Take home:  Don't be scared by the looks of it.  Absolutely go!  Give yourself the time so you don't feel rushed.  Make sure you choose the spicy chickpeas (they aren't THAT spicy) and the masala sauce.  Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment