Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Miya Sushi - Towson, MD

Today we ate at Miya Sushi in Towson.

http://www.miyasushi.co/

We were wondering what to eat today and decided to try someplace new.  We went to Yelp and the first thing I saw was Miya Sushi, with good reviews all around.

A sushi place that I didn't know about!  It had to be tried.

We walked down there from work, which wasn't too bad of a walk from the Towson Town Center area, and found the bright yellow sign for Miya Sushi just south of Towsontowne Boulevard.

We walked in the door and we were the only people there.  The two staff, they might be the owners, I am not sure, greeted us warmly at the door and told us to have a seat anywhere.  I felt a little bad, since one of them was eating, and I hate interrupting other people's meals, but they were so friendly that I forgot about it quickly.

We ordered and got our drinks pretty quickly, and Amy needed a minute to finish reviewing the menu.

This is a tiny place, only about 8 tables, give or take, but it is quaint, and clean.  Some reviewers on Yelp mentioned that it was sparsely decorated and stuff, but I don't think it needed it.  Cleanliness and staff can contribute so much more to the ambiance of a place than the decor can ever merit.  I liked it.

I ordered the miso soup, Crispy Ebi Roll (Shrimp Tempura Roll) and Tuna sashimi.  Amy got some dumpling things that have a name I have since forgotten and a Double Roll off the cooked menu.

We got our soup and dumplings in fairly short order.  There was a bit of a wait for the sushi, but not so long that I was getting antsy.  And when it came out, it was fresh enough that I was quite happy with waiting for it!

These pictures were taken with Amy's phone, since mine was still acting up.

I enjoyed everything I ordered.  The miso soup was a touch bland, but not the worst I have ever had.  I cleaned my plate.

Amy did not have as much luck.  She really enjoyed the dumplings, but she ordered her Double roll, consisting of spicy tuna tempura and crabmeat (real lump crab!).  It was cooked.  All the way cooked.  I wasn't too surprised, since she ordered it off the "cooked" portion of the menu, but she wasn't paying that much attention.  So she didn't enjoy the roll too much.  

I think the lady recognized this, so she brought out another roll, on the house, and gave it to Amy.  It had spicy salmon and crab with some tempura around it.  If Amy hadn't been so full, she would have devoured it.  It was exactly what she had wanted.  Well, maybe not as spicy as she could have wanted, but it is not unusual for places to make things not too spicy.

Afterward, we asked for tempura banana, and they brought us out 4 little pieces of banana, which was the perfect amount!  We got that for free as well.  I love this place, and this lady serving us!  I promise next time (and there WILL be a next time!) I will find out more about you, like your name and stuff!

Rating:
Food: 5
Service: 5
Ambiance: 5

Take Home:  This place, while small and looking a bit like a hole in the wall, was wonderful, with wonderful food, and wonderful people!

No comments:

Post a Comment