Friday, August 31, 2012

Mediterranean Delights (food cart) - Towson, MD

There is no website for this cart that I could find, but here's their "location" - https://foursquare.com/v/mediterranean-delights-cart/4f9ec5b9e4b044503c93faaa

It's located at the corner of Washington and Allegheny in Towson, just off the circle and next to the courthouse.  We found it the other day when I was doing a 2-day liquid cleanse diet and Vanessa picked up some take-out sushi from Kyodai and we decided to walk to the little park by the courthouse and sit on the benches in the shade so she could eat.  I made her get sushi so I wouldn't smell any delicious smells and have to tackle her and steal her lunch. 

BUT... she forgot to buy a beverage.  So we stopped at the Mediterranean Delights cart so she could buy a bottle of water, since it was right next to the park.  As we stood there, I got to smell all of these absolutely mouth-watering smells and started to hate her a little bit for torturing me by making me stay there.  I perused the limited but delicious-looking menu and decided that I was definitely coming back here soon to try it out. 

And that is exactly what we did after our farmer's market excursion yesterday.  This time SHE had already eaten and it was ME getting the eats!  Their menu consists of lamb or chicken gyros ($5), lamb or chicken "platters" ($6 - rice, meat, onions, and lettuce/tomato salad with either white or hot sauce), and hot dogs ($2) - and it's Halal.  There was another cart that looked like it carried the same kind of food at the other end of the block that had several people waiting in line, whereas this cart had people come up, get their food, and go. I'm not sure if that other cart is more popular, or if they are just slower. 

I got the lamb gyro and said "yes" to a little white sauce.  I was expecting tzatziki sauce, but turns out this was more of a mayo-based white sauce.  I HATE MAYO!!!!  The sauce wasn't horrible, even for a mayo hater, but I'll get hot sauce next time.  The rest of the gyro was fantastic - tons and tons of meat - I can't believe how much! - (and you can even buy extra meat for $2, but there's just no way it would fit!), grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, and sauce.  The meat was perfectly cooked - crispy grilled on the outside and moist inside.  The gyro bread was very, very soft.  Hard/stale bread is a pet peeve of mine and often the gyros I get have that hard edge.  This one was awesome.  I highly, highly recommend this place.  I'm going to try the platter next time!

I'm also going to try the other cart on the to see which one is better.  Put your dukes up, bud!

** Sorry for the lack of pics - I didn't consider reviewing this place until my food was half gone and Vanessa suggested it.  Oops.

Rating:
Food: 5
Service:  5 (the guy running it was fast and very courteous)
Ambiance:  5 (right next to a cute little park with a bunch of benches and shade!)

Take home:  Grab a nosh, then grab a bench!  Go light on the sauce the first time in case you don't like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment