Saturday, August 11, 2012

Spice & Dice - Towson, MD

This will be a hard one...  I've been here twice now.  The first time with no deal coupon, this last one, I had a $10 for $20, I believe.  I'll review the first visit as well, since it was a better experience and perhaps it was an off-day for them on my last visit. 

First visit:  Pretty busy - meaning over half of the tables were occupied.  Cute interior and funky furnishings.  Seemed a little odd since the other side over the 3/4 wall is a comic book store, but ok.  I'm good with that.  Our server was prompt and we got our complimentary little spring roll with sauce (I really like that idea) and then orders were taken.  My friend, Rob, said he wanted his REALLY spicy and the waitress basically said, "I dunno.... I'll make it a half-spice and bring you the spice tray to compensate if it's not hot enough."  But... but...  but he asked for super spicy??!!  He didn't argue and went with it.  Our food was tasty and fresh but there wasn't a HINT of spice in it.  It's Thai food.  Should have some heat.  She was good about refilling our drinks and keeping up with clearing our plates, etc. and they brought out the complimentary chocolate ice cream (again...  love that).  All is well and good.

Enter SECOND visit:  Only one other table occupied.  Still the same 2 servers there, so I'm not worried.  It took a LOOOONG time for our server to come over.  We ordered and I asked for "VERY spicy".  He asked "1, 2, or 3?"  I said a resounding "3!!!!!".  Ok.  A LONG time later, we got our spring rolls and then another LONG time later we got our food.  Let me digress for a moment.  While we're waiting this very long time, I suddenly screamed like a banshee and knee-planted the underside of our table because I was sure a freakin' scorpion had just bit my foot.  I had on flip flops.  When I was able to untangle myself from the table I found an ant still clinging for dear life to my foot.  WHAT???  Cathy then looks down and sees an ARMY of ants under our table carrying noodles off in formation like a cartoon.  SWARMS of ants.  We changed tables and the other occuppied table looked at us in concern and curiosity until I informed them (and the waitress) that I had been bit by one of the ants in the army under our table. 

Moving on...  we get our food.  Not a HINT of heat in my drunken noodles.  Not a BIT.  ("Level 3" where?")  Another couple now occupies our old ant table.  Nobody tells them to move.  Cathy turns around and informs them that there is an armada of ants under the table and that they should move.  They do, and thank her profusely.  Why hasn't anyone fixed this yet?  I dunno. 

After we are done eating and waiting.... and waiting... and waiting for our ice cream and check, Cathy finally summons our server and says, "Um... our lunch hour is DONE.  Can we please get the check??".  He then takes a long time to BRING the check and asks if we want our ice cream.  Uh.... YEAH!!! 

Rating:
Food: 2
Ambiance: 2
Service: 2

Take home:  Don't go unless you like your Thai pretty bland (although fresh), you have time to kill, and you wear footwear that covers the entire foot.  And don't sit near the ant window.

No comments:

Post a Comment